Sunday, October 23, 2011

Tres Semanos en Puerto Rico

All of the coffee is espresso. I'm not sure if there is a word for decaf.

School buses are privately owned and generally tricked out with chrome, painted accents, and stylized scripts. I expect hydraulics and subwoofers in the near future.

Beer is mostly 'light;' cans and bottles range from 7-11.3 oz, and the standard beer can is 10 oz. The smaller units are apparently meant to account for the heat. American "college beers" (coors light, busch light) are widely available. The best local beer is Magna, made here in Mayaguez.

Traffic laws are casually observed by some, especially in the pre-dawn hours.

Talking with food in the mouth is more acceptable.

Police and ambulances always drive around with their lights flashing and use their sirens in emergencies.

The prohibition against drinking and driving is relatively recent, and the stigma against it is therefore less.

I am generally without a shirt around the house.

Traditional divisions of labor between the sexes exist. I am not surprised, though some are by my willingness to cook and clean.

Many households in this subdivision in Mayaguez, known as Sultana, have poorly trained dogs cooped up behind fences in driveways and patios and gardens. Try as they might, their yipping and enthusiasm will never get them through those bars. I have developed a special relationship with the dog here, Berra; she follows me around the house and she loves me. Give love and you shall receive. I enjoy taking her on walks through the neighborhood when she sets the pups a-yapping but does not rise to their bait. It's the kitties that get her going.

The disposable plastic culture is thoroughly entrenched here. There is no escape from the ubiquitous plastic bag; my laments are fruitless and my energy wasted on this subject. Letting go is not easy, but necessary; there are more important things to focus on.

If I am learning something, it is how little I actually know.

No comments:

Post a Comment